I have been somewhat obsessed with dying my
hair bright pink and purple since the age of 16, when I had stripes of each
running through my shoulder length blonde hair, and had to tuck it behind my
ears when I was at school to avoid the teachers spotting it…
Since then it’s seen a few ups and downs in
popularity, but I’ve honestly never seen quite as many people with different
colours in their hair as in the last six months…
And it’s never been easier to
play with colour. I became a little obsessed with Kevin Murphy’s Colour Bugs
about 18 months ago, and the arrival of Anastasia’s Hyper Colour Brow &
Hair Powders has tickled my interest again. They come in 5 different colours. I’m especially happy they included a gorgeous teal (I would have perhaps liked to have seen a bright yellow in place of the acid green… but each to their own!)
You’ve all most likely seen the trends and
results before… but here my top 10 tips when using these dusty little pots of
- Wear dark clothing. No matter which brand I use, you always get
a little fallout with these products, even after application. These
versions are much better than the Colour Bugs in my opinion, but you still
don’t want to be wearing white.
- Use leave in conditioner underneath the colour. Just a little
bit. It’ll help the colour stick to your hair and not your
- Set the colour with Hairspray
- If you want streaks, always add the colour underneath your top
layer of hair. This helps to blend it in better.
- Style your hair first. After putting the colour in you get a
very heavy, powdered-texture which is hard to brush through and style.
Brushing will also remove some of the colour. (And it will stick to your
hairbrush, never good!)
- Use a clarifiying shampoo to remove it. Two washes should get
it all out with no problem at all.
- Don’t worry if you have darker hair… These work on any hair
- Cover your surfaces. I would recommend applying these in the
bathroom… away from walls, carpet or curtains. They can be a little messy!
- Wash your hair before bedtime! They shouldn’t stain your
pillows, but the colour will transfer.
- Do it with a friend. I always find applying colour into someone
else’s hair, and having someone apply it in to yours is often better, as
you can see it from different angles and get a better idea of the finished
So there you have it guys… Happy rainbow
What do you guys think of these neon hair
powders? Is it a look you’d wear?
*I don’t own the images of other people’s hair. I pulled these from Tumblr – If anyone requires photo credit, please let me know and I will be happy to include it*