Vintage makeup has been making a comeback in recent years, but most of the attention has been focused on the 1950’s: vibrant red lips and thickly defined liquid eyeliner. But the 1960’s are also coming back in. With Scarlet Johansson’s role as Janet Leigh in Hitchcock, a biopic of the famous director, the 1960’s are looking more glamorous than ever.
If you want to get a gorgeous 60’s look using products that you probably already have in your makeup bag, follow my 5 easy tips:
1. Distinctive brows – The 1960s were all about bold brows, but you don’t have to go OTT to get the look (let’s face it, not everyone can pull off the darkest of brows!) but applying your brow pencil a little more heavily will help to make your brows really stand out, then set them in place using a brow gel to make sure they stay looking bold and beautiful all day.
2. Naturally Flawless Skin – Choose a tinted moisturiser or BB cream instead of a full coverage foundation to get a naturally glowing completion like Scarlett has in the film. Combined with a heavy duty concealer for any major imperfections. You’ll be left with skin that looks naturally perfect.
3. Flushed Cheeks – Use a red stain on the cheeks and lips to give them that natural flush and bee-stung look. If you want to up the glamour stakes, add classic red lips to take the look from daytime to nighttime with ease.
4. Doll Eyes – Add a little matte eyeshadow to the eyelids in neutral shades to enhance the natural contour of your eye, before taking your liquid liner just to the edge of your lash line, not beyond. This creates an open doll-eyed look rather than the feline cat-eye more commonly associated with liquid liners. Finish off your look by curling your lashes, then add your favourite black mascara.
5. Voluminous Locks – When it comes to 60’s hair, the more volume the better! If you want to go all-out with a 1960’s ‘do then good for you, I’ll personally be sticking with just a little extra ‘oomph’ when it comes to the hair!
Products Used – Clockwise from left: Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Balm, Pop Beauty Ink Outliner, Rimmel Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara, Lancome Rouge in Love Lipstick in 159B, Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in Hazel, MAC Eyeshadows in Orb, Wedge, Espresso & Carbon, Mac Brow Set, GHD Hairspray, RMK Eyelash Curlers.
Anthony Hopkins, Helen Mirren and Scarlett Johansson star in Hitchcock, the untold story behind the film that shocked the world, in cinemas February 8th.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by 20th Century Fox via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of 20th Century Fox/Hitchcock.